2008-12-02

Am I a Hack?

In my earlier post on why I created this blog, I said in part that it’s to counteract the likely shrinking of marketing during this downturn. But there are two ways to do this, and I want to explain which one I plan to follow.

One way would be the “squeaky wheel” method: By shouting loudly enough, my readers (if any) will either feel that I must be right or I wouldn’t dare be so loud, or will get tired enough to concede my point just to get me to shut up. This is fine in politics, but doesn’t really suit my personality. I am not a hack, much as I admire many of them.

So I plan to take the other way: I will make as many points in favor of my mission as I can find.

There’s a larger point here, by the way, one that may be obvious to some because it’s so often cited as a silver lining in times like these. In times of plenty, we get fat and lazy. It’s want that makes us work and innovate. This is a time of want. If anything, I hope this blog will help us innovate.

No comments: